Blog graphics from Because He First Loved Us kit by Misty Cato and Julie Billingsley

Sunday, March 4, 2007

The Bible

   I found an article at Crosswalk.com called The Bible: God's One and Only Published Work and it made me stop short. The basic point Selwyn Hughes makes in it is this: the way we view the Bible will determine what priority the scriptures take in our lives. If we believe that the Bible is a bunch of nice stories, but is no different than any other book, we will treat it as such. This point was convicting to me. Even though I am working on building a daily habit of Scripture reading and study, I'm not sure that I have prioritized the scriptures the way that I should.
   I certainly believe "all Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work" (2 Tim 3:16-17), but I don't know it like I should. I have read probably 90% of that Bible, but I've never taken a year or two and read it from start to finish. I wonder if I have begun to teach my children to hold the Word sacred and above all other books?
   How do we as Christians show the rest of the world the hope that we have when we can't even find a Scripture verse to back it up? Can we answer the questions that our unbelieving generation poses to us? Do we have the tools to counter the attacks of the Enemy? Unless we begin (or continue) to study the Bible, allowing it to change us into the people that God can use, just going to church, singing praise songs and smiling at one another is superficial and an insult to one we claim to serve.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is great. Keep it up and thanks.

Sharon said...

Oh definately read it from cover to cover. It should only take a year that is reading a certian number of chapters a day (sorry cant remember how many that was though.) I have done it several times now. It is well worth it.